Romans 11:33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tuesday Mornings with Augustine


Psalm 103:2-3

Finding Forgiveness


“What shall I render unto the Lord,” that while I remember these things my soul isn’t appalled at them? I will love You, Lord, thank You, and confess my sins to Your name. You have wiped out my wicked and sinful acts. Because of Your grace and mercy, You have melted away my sin as though it were ice. Whatever evils I haven’t committed, I attribute to Your grace. For what wouldn’t I have committed, by loving sin for sin’s sake? Yes, everything that I confess You have pardoned, both those things which I did by my own perverseness, and those which I didn’t carry out because of Your guidance.

Who would dare to attribute their purity and innocence to their own strength when they consider their own weakness? Why would they love you any less, as if they had less of a need for Your merciful forgiveness given to those who turn to You? For when whoever You call obeys Your voice and despises the things I confess, don’t let them despise me. I am sick but was healed by the same Physician that healed them or rather made them better.

Because of this let them love You much more. Let them see that You have restored me from such great sin. Let them see themselves as weak and in need of help.

Readings taken from Day by Day with the Early Church Fathers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Deep Riches