blog. Rick Warren has gotten this one exactly right. Every day, it seems that another pastor or church staff member disgraces the name of Christ by engaging in scandalous behavior. I believe that few of those who find themselves in that situation originally intended it to be that way. Some are naive and many are reckless. The idea that, "It can't happen to me," is prevalent. Understanding that, pastors and staffs should hold themselves and each other accountable to these standards and churches should come alongside them and encourage them as they do.
Rick Warren's 10 Commandments for Ministry Staff at Saddleback:
1. Thou shalt not go to lunch alone with the opposite sex.*
2. Thou shalt not have the opposite sex pick you up or drive you places when it is just the two of you.*
3. Thou shalt not kiss any attender of the opposite sex or show affection that could be questioned.*
4. Thou shalt not visit the opposite sex alone at home.*
5. Thou shalt not counsel the opposite sex alone at the office, and thou shalt not counsel the opposite sex more than once without that person’s mate. Refer them.
6. Thou shalt not discuss detailed sexual problems with the opposite sex in counseling. Refer them.
7. Thou shalt not discuss your marriage problems with an attender of the opposite sex.
8. Thou shalt be careful in answering emails, instant messages, chatrooms, cards or letters from the opposite sex.
9. Thou shalt make your co-worker your protective ally.
10. Thou shalt pray for the integrity of other staff members.
[*The first four do not apply to unmarried staff.]
The New NAMB: Part 5
4 hours ago