Romans 11:33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday with the Fathers


James 5:10

Memorials—Theodoret

Even if a prize wasn’t offered to those who fight for true religion, Truth alone would persuade her lovers to welcome any danger for her. The divine Apostle Paul attests to this. He says… “For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” My friend, see the flame of this affection; see the torch of love.

Paul doesn’t covet what is His. I only long for Him, he says. And this love of mine is an unquenchable love. I would gladly pass up every present and future happiness, yes, suffer and endure all kinds of pain again in order to keep this flame with me in all its force. Paul exemplified this in action and in word. For he left memorials of his sufferings behind him. When I remember him and the rest of the patriarchs, prophets, apostles, martyrs, and priests, I can’t help but delight in what we commonly consider miserable. I am ashamed when I remember how those who never learned the lessons we have learned, but followed human nature alone, have won notable places in the race of virtue.

Readings taken from Day by Day with the Early Church Fathers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Deep Riches