Romans 11:33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Basics Wisdom


I'm not a great notetaker, but Kevin Howerton, pastor of Covenant Baptist Church is. Kevin and I are at the Basics 09 conference and he copied down some great quotes from John Lennox, Alistair Begg and John Piper. Here they are with Kevin's comments at the end:


"Every sermon, every Bible study, every talk you have -- should portray God in Christ as supremely desirable." - John Piper

"The Church is always a big mess." - John Piper

:"Don't give up. Don't despise the days of small things." - John Piper

"The number one reason that people in Britian gave for not going to church: 'They never address the questions we are asking.'" - John Lennox

"American football, as far as I can tell, is a series of prayer meetings interrupted by war." - John Lennox (Oxford Math Professor)

"The biggest passion in my life is to exalt Jesus Christ. To make Jesus look as big as He is... (like a telescope)...in my pastoring, as a husband, in my fathering." - John Piper

"Going out and loving is not enough....(then he talks how anyone can do that, pagans do that, liberalism did that; they loved and fed) -- the full gospel has to be shared, forgiveness and an imputed righteousness."

"In Christ we become the righteousness of God." - John Piper

Piper quoted the following quote from John Bunyan's autobiography:

Then came the decisive moment for Bunyan:
One day as I was passing into a field…this sentence fell upon my
soul. ‘Thy righteousness is in heaven. And me thought, withal, I
saw with the eyes of my soul Jesus Christ as God’s right hand;
there, I say, was my righteousness…. I also saw, moreover, that is
was not my good frame of heart that made my righteousness better,
nor yet my bad frame that made my righteousness worse, for my
righteousness was Jesus Christ himself, ‘The same yesterday,
today, and forever’ (Heb. 13:8). Now did my chains fall off my legs
indeed. I was loosed from my afflictions and irons; my temptations
also fled away; so that from that time those dreadful scriptures of
God [about the unforgivable sin] left off to trouble me; now went I
also home rejoicing for the grace and love of God.

Pastor Kevin - This is the source of our joy and peace in God through Jesus Christ. We have forgiveness through the blood of Christ, but as important we have Christ's imputed righteousness. What joy and peace this brings. I know I could never be good enough to have a relationship and to dwell with God forever. It's impossible for me, but praise be to God, Jesus not only took away my sins but gave me His perfect righteousness. What comfort this brings when we may doubt our goodness and our salvation. God sees only the imputed righteousness of Jesus on us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Deep Riches