Romans 11:33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

God told me to write this... well maybe not.


A red flag rises in my mind every time I hear a person utter the words, “The Lord told me….” Does that mean that I don’t believe God can speak in an audible voice? No, it doesn’t—it does mean that I believe God speaks infallibly and authoritatively through His written Word. Anything that He “speaks” apart from His Word has to be tested against that Word. I find it interesting that many times the very people who repeatedly claim “visions” and “dreams” and “words” from the Lord are the least consistent and reliable professing Christians I know. Even more dangerous is the practice of preachers who stand in the pulpit and declare, “The Lord told me….” In many of the instances I have witnessed, that Protestant version of an ex cathedra declaration is followed by some of the most blatant and unbiblical spiritual manipulation imaginable. It reminds me of the special disdain the Lord showed for His prophets who were doing the same thing:

“I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy falsely in My name, saying, ‘I had a dream, I had a dream!’ How long? Is there anything in the hearts of the prophets who prophesy falsehood, even these prophets of the deception of their own heart, who intend to make My people forget My name by their dreams which they relate to one another, just as their fathers forgot My name because of Baal? The prophet who has a dream may relate his dream, but let him who has My word speak My word in truth. What does straw have in common with grain?” declares the Lord. “Is not My word like fire?” declares the Lord, “and like a hammer which shatters a rock? Therefore behold, I am against the prophets,” declares the Lord, “who steal My words from each other. Behold, I am against the prophets,” declares the Lord, “who use their tongues and declare, ‘The Lord declares.’ Behold, I am against those who have prophesied false dreams,” declares the Lord, “and related them and led My people astray by their falsehoods and reckless boasting; yet I did not send them or command them, nor do they furnish this people the slightest benefit,” declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 23:25-32)

Lord, keep me from ever declaring, “Thus saith the Lord,” about something You haven’t said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Deep Riches