Romans 11:33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tuesday Mornings with Augustine


Psalm 18:28

God Knows Us

You Lord, are the one who judges me. For although no man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him, there is something in a person that the spirit of man which is in him doesn’t know about itself. But You, Lord, who made us, know us completely.

Although I despise who I am in Your sight and consider myself but dust and ashes, I undeniably know something about You that I don’t know about myself. To be sure, now we see though a glass darkly and not yet face to face. So, as long as I am absent from You, I am more present with my body than with You. I know that You can’t sin, but I don’t know what temptations I can resist and which ones I can’t.

But there is hope because You are faithful. You won’t allow us to be tempted beyond what we are able to endure, but will always make a way to escape the temptation so that we can bear it. Therefore, I will confess what I know about myself. I will also confess what I don’t know about myself. What I do know about myself, I know by Your enlightenment. And what I don’t know about myself, I won’t know until the time when You will see my darkness as the noonday.

Readings taken from Day by Day with the Early Church Fathers

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Deep Riches