Romans 11:33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Wonderful Rainy Days


I must confess… my family has a terrible tendency to over schedule. Most of the time, every second of our lives are filled to capacity—with good things, but nevertheless filled. We’re not victims. It’s not that we have trouble saying no. We just really like to say yes—to everything. And when a slot opens up on the calendar, we seem to feel like we have to fill it as soon as possible. That’s why this week has been so special.

We finally decided to take a vacation. Now, let me tell you what that’s usually like. Normally, when my family takes a vacation, it’s to do something. We travel to see family. We go to a theme park. We have an agenda. We fill every waking moment with activity and busyness. Most of the time when we come home from “vacation” we are utterly exhausted. I have half-joked many times about needing to get back to work in order to rest and recover.

For the most part, this vacation is like that. My time away started this past Monday. That’s the same day our state missions camp started, so I drove the kids up in the church van. Camp finishes today, so I’ll head back up to get them in a little while. I’ll be back in the pulpit on August 8th, so tomorrow I’ll need to work on those sermons. Sunday, we’re heading to Southside Baptist Church in Parkersburg, WV, to spend time with my aunt and uncle, who is pastor there. Then it’s off to Montgomery, AL, to spend time with our oldest daughter and friends from our time living there. As usual, every second will be filled to overflowing. Kids will need to be dropped off with friends. We will scatter to the four winds. Stress. I can’t wait.

Once again, that’s why this week has been so special. I was excited to drive our church’s young people to missions camp this year because the group included our two children who are still at home. That meant that my wife and I had three whole days to ourselves. We made the best of it without making the most of it. We rented a chalet in the Smokies and chilled. We walked together (going nowhere in particular). We talked together (without interruption). And for the most part, we didn’t have a schedule or anything pressing to attend to. It rained every day, but it was beautiful.

Now, back to busyness!

Proverbs 18:22

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Deep Riches