Romans 11:33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Time Flies

Today marks the second anniversary of the first sermon I preached as the pastor of Brushfork Baptist Church. In some ways it seems like we have been together much longer than that. But in other ways it feels as if we are just getting started. In that sense, I suppose my relationship with the people of Brushfork is like my marriage of 22 years. Two years into our marriage, Miranda and I were just getting to know each other. We would take a lot of pride in the fact that we could whip any other young couple in The Newlywed Game. But no matter how well we knew each other at the time, we still had a lot to learn—and that was a good thing. Because had we known all the things God had in store for us at the time, we wouldn’t have been able to handle it.

Throughout the ensuing years God has used each of those things to grow us more intimately close than either of us could imagine. We have endured difficult times together and are the better for it. We have enjoyed blissful times together and are the better for it. Some times have been dry and difficult while many times have been wonderfully rich and sweet, but God has used both to bring us closer to each other and closer to Him. I pray that is the plan He has in mind for Brushfork Baptist Church and me.

I have a quote written on the whiteboard in my office that has been attributed to Mark Dever. It is the quote that is before me every day of my ministry and is the challenge I strive to meet. Simple in its eloquence, it says what I pray I will be reading 20 years from now as the pastor of Brushfork Baptist Church: “Preach and pray. Love and stay.” Here’s to the unknown glories of this continuing adventure.

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now. For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. For it is only right for me to feel this way about you all, because I have you in my heart, since both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers of grace with me. For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:3-11)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search Deep Riches